Sunday, July 09, 2006

Windows Mobile Upgrade Woes

So those of you with Pocket PCs that don't run Palm might have noticed that Microsoft have recently updated Windows Mobile 5. By now most manufacturers have issued the firmware upgrades to allow you to upgrade your PDA or Smartphone to the latest version.

I decided I would try doing this on my MDA Vario this Sunday. Before I began I took a complete backup with Sprite Backup, as updating Windows Mobile will reset everything on your device (Imagine if updating Windows did that :) )

Everything went fairly smoothly as far as flashing goes, it took about 15-20 mins to fully complete and Activesync was able to restore all my contacts. However, the problems began when I tried to restore everything else from my backup.

OK, so doing a full restore was probably not a good idea, the system has been updated and sure enough trying this approach ended in disaster. Hard reset later and I do a restore of my e-mails and documents with sprite. Everything seems to go according to plan and I even get my text messages back. But lo and behold I now have a phantom IMAP account on my today screen. Clicking this account (which says it has 10 unread e-mails in it) does nothing, and trying to set up an account with the same name in Pocket Outlook brings up a "Account already exists" error. but you cannot change the settings of the phantom account because it is nowhere to be seen in Pocket Outlook. I even tried deleting all registry keys pertaining to "IMAP4-HOME" (the name of my account) but still it would not go away. Kind of disappointed with Sprite backup as it is supposed to be the best backup program and this is the first time I've actually had to use it and its performance has been less than stellar.

Oh well, at least I have all my important information back, I just hope I don't have to restore again any time soon as I don't want two phantom accounts on my device!

I'll post again when I update the Dell X51, don't think I'll bother with sprite for that as there are no SMS or E-mail messages on it that are not already on my IMAP server.

No comments: