Saturday, October 03, 2009

Microsoft and excessive packaging

So I ordered some Microsoft points from Play.com because they were cheaper than buying them directly with the credit card on Xbox Live. I expected them to show up stuck to a small piece of cardboard a bit like the iTunes vouchers you see at the supermarket checkout, instead I got this:-




















Yes, that is a whole DVD sized case for one credit card sized points card that is useless when its been used once. To compound this example of excessive packaging madness, I actually ordered two 2100 points cards, which both came in their own box, because it was almost £1 cheaper to order two 2100 points cards than one 4200 points card. Of course, both were cheaper than actually buying the points from Microsoft themselves through Xbox live. Next time I buy points over live instead of mail order, I am tempted to phone Microsoft customer services and ask for my free DVD case.

No comments: