Sunday, August 13, 2006

Serious X51v probem encountered!

I was recently using the x51v as an mp3 player and I noticed as one of my songs was playing that there were several clicks and pops that I had not noticed before. When I got home I listened to the original file on my desktop PC and everything seemed fine.

Investigating further, I deleted the faulty mp3 file off my PDA and copied it over again, only to find that the glitches in the file were present again.

Determined to get to the bottom of the problem, I deleted the file again, then before copying it over I took an md5 hash of the file. I then renamed the file and copied the file over with activesync, then back again to my desktop. I took another md5 and guess what? Yep, the Activesync had screwed the file up, the md5's were different.

It is not just mp3's either, I tried archiving the file and sending it up, and it still came back with a different md5.

I repeated the same experiment but using my compact flash reader and the md5's came back the same, I then repeated the same experiment but using a different PDA (my T-Mobile MDA vario) and the md5's came back the same.

This is rather worrying since I use the x51 as a compact flash reader at work. I doubt Dell customer service will be overly helpful (I can just imagine trying to explain all this to a customer service rep)

If anyone else has had this problem on a Windows Mobile device please leave a comment!

No comments: