Sunday, August 06, 2006

Windows Mobile Upgrade pt2

Ok so I promised I'd let you know how it went when I upgraded the x51 to the latest version of Windows Mobile.

Well, it was not without it's problems. After following the first two steps of the upgrade process and actually getting the flash file onto the device, I was instructed to perform a hard reset. However, for some reason the upgrade process had rendered it impossible to do a hard reset on the device!

After much googling around and reading other peoples problems I discovered a hard reset wasn't actually necessary. I disabled my password and the upgrade process went through without any further incident.

So aside from some pretty poor software support from Dell, the X51 upgrade went OK. Activesync copied all my contacts and notes back onto the device OK, and after entering all my account settings I had no problems pulling e-mail down off the IMAP server again. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and the disappearing compact flash problem that seemed to affect a lot of WM5 devices seems to be fixed.

Oh how I look forward to the future when Microsoft will push their operating systems onto everything else we use too.

(that WAS a joke, honestly, in spite of me owning three computers and two PDA's with Windows operating systems, oh and an Xbox and and Xbox 360, I am not a Microsoft fanboy!)

No comments: